Can I obtain an extension for first appearance or payment?

By court rules, a defendant can request an extension of his first appearance from the Court Clerk; however, this is dependent upon the type of ticket you have received. On some misdemeanor charges, the court prefers not to continue. On infraction charges, an extension must be requested to the Court Clerk before 3 p.m. on the date of appearance and can be extended to the next court date.

Further extensions or continuances may be granted depending on the necessity for such extension, but must be agreed upon by the City Prosecutor and/or approved by the Judge. If you are scheduled on the Pay or Appear docket and cannot make payment, you are required to come before the Court to request additional time to pay. Under extenuating circumstances, the Court may allow an extension of your appearance, but you must contact the Court Clerk prior to court so that approval from the Judge can be obtained.

Show All Answers

1. Who can I talk to about my case?
2. Can I speak with the Judge before my court date?
3. Can I speak with the City Prosecutor before my court date?
4. Can I pay my ticket before coming to Court?
5. Can I obtain an extension for first appearance or payment?
6. Can I pay my fine in installment payments?
7. What are administrative fees and court costs and why must I pay them?
8. Do I need an attorney?
9. Can I have a court-appointed attorney?
10. What happens if I miss a court date?
11. Do you offer diversions on traffic tickets?
12. How do I get my driver’s license reinstated after the Court has it suspended?
13. Can my spouse come to court for me?
14. When I come to court on my first appearance, do I need to provide evidence or witnesses?
15. What do I wear to court?